07 June 2012

Machu Picchu, at last


As I’ve lived in Peru for over a year now, most people assume I’ve been to Machu Picchu several times … but, no. It’s an expensive outing when you only earn a local wage, so I had been saving my journey till a friend came to visit me. That finally happened when my lovely friend Marianne came to Peru a couple of weeks ago so I have at last seen the amazing ancient city of the Incas.

It is difficult to find adequate words to describe this magical site – it really is one of those places you must see and experience for yourself. So, I’m going to let my photos do most of the talking for me.



The setting is spectacular – it’s one hellova place to build a city.





Despite the huge numbers of visitors, it is still possible to find a quiet place to sit and contemplate your amazing surroundings.




The steep steps can be difficult for someone who broke their ankle a couple of years ago and now has a bit of a phobia about falling down stairs – no handrails here!



The sky was the bluest of blues and the air so very clean and fresh.



We even came across some of the local wildlife, a cute little lizard and two vizcachas, basking in the sun’s heat on a pile of stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment